Love, Loss And What I Wore


I may not be as fashionable as other people may be, but believe me when I say that I adore the fashion industry. I admire people who spend most of their lives designing clothes, shoes and any other stuff that may be paraded on a ramp. I believe that the stuff we wear reflects who we are. I mean it shows our attitude, our preferences; it can even mark special moments in our lives. Like the first wedges we wore or the dress we sashayed on prom night. It helps us remember meaningful events, no matter how good or bad they were.



The "sensational, Off-Broadway show", Love, Loss and What I Wore, written by Nora and Delia Ephron, offers us a rundown on several stories from various women who remember significant events in their lives through the clothes they wore. Last January 21, Ate Anna, Ate Fina and I watched the Filipino remake of the stageplay at the RCBC Theater. We were fortunate enough to secure discounted Orchestra seats because of the vouchers we had. Hahaha. 


The central story of the play was Gingy's (Jay Glorioso) life. She grew up in a poor family, had three marriages and raised many children. Each special moment in her life is connected to a particular dress (the sketch is projected onstage). Gingy's story is weaved with other stories from various women who find fashion stuffs as symbols of their hardships, triumphs, losses and love. At one scene, the actresses stood and danced to the Madonna's Vogue as an homage to the Queen of Pop. 


The play was some sort of a read-along thing. It was something new for a very visual person like me. I need to really listen so I'll be able to get the concept and the story. What makes it lively were the animated voices of the actresses particularly Bituin Escalante's. She's really great! It has its share of both emotional stories and there were also funny ones. There's the story on bridal gowns which, in the end, revealed a lesbian couple who are about to get married. Stories on breast cancer and rape were also told wistfully by the actresses. The most touching, I thought, was how fashion makes mothers and daughters some sort of bestfriends. Despite the differences on choices, women would always end up finding a common connection  with their mothers on matters of clothes, shoes and bags. Fashion just seals in the love between moms and daughters. (weepy, hahahaha).


But then again, Bituin Escalante's funny account on how most women go gaga over an Hermes Kelly bag was totally cool. While it did not offer a very reasonable explanation on why women are obsessed on owning an expensive handbag like an Hermes, it was able to tell us the importance of having a handbag and why most of our bags are messy and jungle-like. I am guilty of that. I put a lot of things inside my bag and I even keep faded receipts, used candy wrappers and other bits and pieces of everything without even knowing why. Hahaha. I guess it's a quirk unique to women. Hahaha.
The Cast of Love, Loss and What I Wore (credits to: theexodium.blogspot.com): From left: Cathy Azanza- Dy, Teresa Herrera, Jay Glorioso, Menchu Lauchengco and Bituin Escalante

What makes the play refreshing was its simplicity. The actresses, all dressed in black, were just sitting on stools and blurting out their lines to the audience as if we're just chatting. I think such a style made the play's concept more accessible to its target audience. 

Goofing Around. Playdates. Hahahaha.

 


I just hope the play would have a Filipino twist to it. I mean, the fact that it was given an Asian remake, I think it would be better if we can weave in stories from a Filipina's perspective.


Rating: 4 out of 5 


Related Posts:
ABS- CBN's sees it as a "theater flick" 
PEP promotes Love, Loss and What I Wore



Labels: , , ,

felix felicis: Love, Loss And What I Wore

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Love, Loss And What I Wore


I may not be as fashionable as other people may be, but believe me when I say that I adore the fashion industry. I admire people who spend most of their lives designing clothes, shoes and any other stuff that may be paraded on a ramp. I believe that the stuff we wear reflects who we are. I mean it shows our attitude, our preferences; it can even mark special moments in our lives. Like the first wedges we wore or the dress we sashayed on prom night. It helps us remember meaningful events, no matter how good or bad they were.



The "sensational, Off-Broadway show", Love, Loss and What I Wore, written by Nora and Delia Ephron, offers us a rundown on several stories from various women who remember significant events in their lives through the clothes they wore. Last January 21, Ate Anna, Ate Fina and I watched the Filipino remake of the stageplay at the RCBC Theater. We were fortunate enough to secure discounted Orchestra seats because of the vouchers we had. Hahaha. 


The central story of the play was Gingy's (Jay Glorioso) life. She grew up in a poor family, had three marriages and raised many children. Each special moment in her life is connected to a particular dress (the sketch is projected onstage). Gingy's story is weaved with other stories from various women who find fashion stuffs as symbols of their hardships, triumphs, losses and love. At one scene, the actresses stood and danced to the Madonna's Vogue as an homage to the Queen of Pop. 


The play was some sort of a read-along thing. It was something new for a very visual person like me. I need to really listen so I'll be able to get the concept and the story. What makes it lively were the animated voices of the actresses particularly Bituin Escalante's. She's really great! It has its share of both emotional stories and there were also funny ones. There's the story on bridal gowns which, in the end, revealed a lesbian couple who are about to get married. Stories on breast cancer and rape were also told wistfully by the actresses. The most touching, I thought, was how fashion makes mothers and daughters some sort of bestfriends. Despite the differences on choices, women would always end up finding a common connection  with their mothers on matters of clothes, shoes and bags. Fashion just seals in the love between moms and daughters. (weepy, hahahaha).


But then again, Bituin Escalante's funny account on how most women go gaga over an Hermes Kelly bag was totally cool. While it did not offer a very reasonable explanation on why women are obsessed on owning an expensive handbag like an Hermes, it was able to tell us the importance of having a handbag and why most of our bags are messy and jungle-like. I am guilty of that. I put a lot of things inside my bag and I even keep faded receipts, used candy wrappers and other bits and pieces of everything without even knowing why. Hahaha. I guess it's a quirk unique to women. Hahaha.
The Cast of Love, Loss and What I Wore (credits to: theexodium.blogspot.com): From left: Cathy Azanza- Dy, Teresa Herrera, Jay Glorioso, Menchu Lauchengco and Bituin Escalante

What makes the play refreshing was its simplicity. The actresses, all dressed in black, were just sitting on stools and blurting out their lines to the audience as if we're just chatting. I think such a style made the play's concept more accessible to its target audience. 

Goofing Around. Playdates. Hahahaha.

 


I just hope the play would have a Filipino twist to it. I mean, the fact that it was given an Asian remake, I think it would be better if we can weave in stories from a Filipina's perspective.


Rating: 4 out of 5 


Related Posts:



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home