Christmas at Diliman


After our impromptu Monday date with Kenshin and friends, the whole week went on with little rest. I was able to catch some sleep and then the nightly gigs continued towards the weekend. I am now reaching a conclusion that December is a hectic month bar none. Hahaha. Especially if you want to maximize the limited number of days off from school. Hahaha! 

On Thursday, Jon and I were able to watch UP College of Music’s annual offering of Handel’s Messiah. Jon’s a childhood friend/church mate—he’s studying Music Conducting at UPCM and I don’t really know what year he’s now in. Hahaha. We usually get complimentary tickets from him on shows staged at the Abelardo Hall which is really fun because we get to watch for free. Haha. But that’s if we request for one. Haha. Anyways, the last time I watched Handel’s Messiah was on 2009. Jon’s concert class will be singing for the orchestra that time and because he’ll be performing, he invited us over. Plus, it’s his birthday so celebration na din. I was with Kuya Lou, Ate Dianne and another friend I invited.

This year, I asked Jon to get me tickets for the show. He said he’ll try. I was eager to watch the show because aside from the Messiah repertoire which has been an annual Christmas tradition in UP, premier performers from UP will also be gracing the stage. There’s UP Singing Ambassadors, UP Concert Chorus, UP ARCO and of course the UP Madrigal Singers. I’m dying to see them sing and perform live so when this chance came, I thought I should come. Hahaha. Of course, Jon was able to get an extra ticket for me. Yay!

I felt that I was in heaven listening to angels sing and play music that whole time. UP ARCO, CMu’s orchestra performed a few pieces to kick of the night. Then, each choir performed three Christmas songs and each of them are equally great in their song renditions. I especially loved UPCC’s My Soul’s Been Anchored in the Lord—there’s a gospel feel on it with groovy up beats. And then, there’s UPSA’s rendition of Ryan Cayabyab’s Munting Sanggol. It was the first time I heard of it. I really like it when nice Filipino songs are sang straight from the heart because they move me to tears. I guess it’s because we just don’t understand the lyrics, we really get and feel what they mean when sang beautifully. There’s also a Madz version of Go Tell it on the Mountain—it’s just awesome. The soprano solo was beautifully complemented by the male voices in the background. It’s like listening to a round song except that it goes a notch higher after each round. This is only the first part of the program.

The second part was the Messiah repertoire. Messiah was composed by Goerg Friedrich Handel in 1741. It is one of the more popular and frequently performed work of art in Western music. A section of Messiah was performed that night with the UP Orchestra at the helm and UPCMu’s Concert Classes together with UPSA, UPCC, Madz and UP Cherubims and Seraphims as the chancel choir. Solos were performed by Soprano Mia Fernandez, Bass Michael Bulaong, Tenor Ervin Lumauag and Counter Tenor Mark Anthony Carpio (Madz conductor). I especially liked their performance of For Unto Us A Child is Born. Of course, the Hallelujah chorus that capped the whole Messiah performance was majestic. As said, it’s like listening to a host of angels singing their praises in heaven. Hehe J The last part was also a favorite. Everyone sang their hearts out to popular Pinoy Christmas Carols. Fun!

Friday. I’m back at UP, this time to watch the annual Christmas Lantern Parade. I’m with my friends and I get to dabble with my new camera. Hehehehehe. 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

felix felicis: Christmas at Diliman

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas at Diliman


After our impromptu Monday date with Kenshin and friends, the whole week went on with little rest. I was able to catch some sleep and then the nightly gigs continued towards the weekend. I am now reaching a conclusion that December is a hectic month bar none. Hahaha. Especially if you want to maximize the limited number of days off from school. Hahaha! 

On Thursday, Jon and I were able to watch UP College of Music’s annual offering of Handel’s Messiah. Jon’s a childhood friend/church mate—he’s studying Music Conducting at UPCM and I don’t really know what year he’s now in. Hahaha. We usually get complimentary tickets from him on shows staged at the Abelardo Hall which is really fun because we get to watch for free. Haha. But that’s if we request for one. Haha. Anyways, the last time I watched Handel’s Messiah was on 2009. Jon’s concert class will be singing for the orchestra that time and because he’ll be performing, he invited us over. Plus, it’s his birthday so celebration na din. I was with Kuya Lou, Ate Dianne and another friend I invited.

This year, I asked Jon to get me tickets for the show. He said he’ll try. I was eager to watch the show because aside from the Messiah repertoire which has been an annual Christmas tradition in UP, premier performers from UP will also be gracing the stage. There’s UP Singing Ambassadors, UP Concert Chorus, UP ARCO and of course the UP Madrigal Singers. I’m dying to see them sing and perform live so when this chance came, I thought I should come. Hahaha. Of course, Jon was able to get an extra ticket for me. Yay!

I felt that I was in heaven listening to angels sing and play music that whole time. UP ARCO, CMu’s orchestra performed a few pieces to kick of the night. Then, each choir performed three Christmas songs and each of them are equally great in their song renditions. I especially loved UPCC’s My Soul’s Been Anchored in the Lord—there’s a gospel feel on it with groovy up beats. And then, there’s UPSA’s rendition of Ryan Cayabyab’s Munting Sanggol. It was the first time I heard of it. I really like it when nice Filipino songs are sang straight from the heart because they move me to tears. I guess it’s because we just don’t understand the lyrics, we really get and feel what they mean when sang beautifully. There’s also a Madz version of Go Tell it on the Mountain—it’s just awesome. The soprano solo was beautifully complemented by the male voices in the background. It’s like listening to a round song except that it goes a notch higher after each round. This is only the first part of the program.

The second part was the Messiah repertoire. Messiah was composed by Goerg Friedrich Handel in 1741. It is one of the more popular and frequently performed work of art in Western music. A section of Messiah was performed that night with the UP Orchestra at the helm and UPCMu’s Concert Classes together with UPSA, UPCC, Madz and UP Cherubims and Seraphims as the chancel choir. Solos were performed by Soprano Mia Fernandez, Bass Michael Bulaong, Tenor Ervin Lumauag and Counter Tenor Mark Anthony Carpio (Madz conductor). I especially liked their performance of For Unto Us A Child is Born. Of course, the Hallelujah chorus that capped the whole Messiah performance was majestic. As said, it’s like listening to a host of angels singing their praises in heaven. Hehe J The last part was also a favorite. Everyone sang their hearts out to popular Pinoy Christmas Carols. Fun!

Friday. I’m back at UP, this time to watch the annual Christmas Lantern Parade. I’m with my friends and I get to dabble with my new camera. Hehehehehe. 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home