Harry Pottery in Batac

After a grueling but super fun morning spent at Barangay La Paz’s sand dunes (that’s in Laoag), I begged asked my friends to visit the oldest potter in Batac and try out something new like shaping mud. Of course they gave in to my request because it’s within our route and because they want me to be happy. Chos. Haha!

Twenty minutes or so passed when our jeepney stopped over a pottery store just by the highway. We were asking ourselves if that’s already the place when I saw THE old lady shaping mud in her veined hands. “Eto na yun!” I remembered exclaiming. The rest was history.

That's Lola Paulina surrounded with freshly made pots.


I heard of Lola Paulina (if my memory serves me right) when I listened to Mayor Nalupta on one of the good practices sharing sessions I have attended. The session was focused on further localizing education through various local government efforts. In order to instill culture and a sense of history to the younger people of Batac, the local government thought of mainstreaming pottery again. It was one of their more steady streams of local income before; when the once sleepy town became one of the province’s urban hubs, pottery was sidelined and was left to the older people to pursue. Lola Paulina was one of the last traditional potters left in town who still pursues the craft and is willing to teach eager people.






I was just trying to be funny there
but the mold's really heavy. #truestory
While I was busy trying to shape a mound of mud, my friends did the informal interviews. We learned that Lola Paulina was working for the store. And we thought she or her family owned it. Customers from within Ilocos and those from nearby provinces really visit the store to purchase bulks of pots and other earthenware. They usually don’t get much, I think, because the stuff they sell are sold cheap. I mean their flower pots are ranging from PhP40 to 70 while the smaller versions are for PhP20-30. They even have miniature pots and chicken feeding plates sold for PhP5 and PhP10/3 pieces, respectively. When you compare those sold in Manila, there’s a huge price difference.

A few more minutes and I’m done with my pot. I only shaped mud through a mold which you might say is not really a legit form of pottery. I could have tried the more difficult stuff or wheeling and feeling all that mud in your hands but the guide said they’re not doing one yet. So we stuck with the mold. I felt happy with my finished product. It was slightly easy except on removing the shaped pot from the mold. I did make futile attempts but it was really heavy. I managed to remove it, though. Of course with help from our guide. Hehe.

I remembered it was on my bucket list. Another one done. When I was doing it, I felt like a town’s culture slowly slipping through my hands. I felt their hardship through the sweat that beaded my brows and their pride as soon as I finished one. Cheesy, eh? Yep. And fun. You should try it. :)


THAT'S MY UPSIDE DOWN POT! Happy girl here! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

felix felicis: Harry Pottery in Batac

Monday, May 20, 2013

Harry Pottery in Batac

After a grueling but super fun morning spent at Barangay La Paz’s sand dunes (that’s in Laoag), I begged asked my friends to visit the oldest potter in Batac and try out something new like shaping mud. Of course they gave in to my request because it’s within our route and because they want me to be happy. Chos. Haha!

Twenty minutes or so passed when our jeepney stopped over a pottery store just by the highway. We were asking ourselves if that’s already the place when I saw THE old lady shaping mud in her veined hands. “Eto na yun!” I remembered exclaiming. The rest was history.

That's Lola Paulina surrounded with freshly made pots.


I heard of Lola Paulina (if my memory serves me right) when I listened to Mayor Nalupta on one of the good practices sharing sessions I have attended. The session was focused on further localizing education through various local government efforts. In order to instill culture and a sense of history to the younger people of Batac, the local government thought of mainstreaming pottery again. It was one of their more steady streams of local income before; when the once sleepy town became one of the province’s urban hubs, pottery was sidelined and was left to the older people to pursue. Lola Paulina was one of the last traditional potters left in town who still pursues the craft and is willing to teach eager people.






I was just trying to be funny there
but the mold's really heavy. #truestory
While I was busy trying to shape a mound of mud, my friends did the informal interviews. We learned that Lola Paulina was working for the store. And we thought she or her family owned it. Customers from within Ilocos and those from nearby provinces really visit the store to purchase bulks of pots and other earthenware. They usually don’t get much, I think, because the stuff they sell are sold cheap. I mean their flower pots are ranging from PhP40 to 70 while the smaller versions are for PhP20-30. They even have miniature pots and chicken feeding plates sold for PhP5 and PhP10/3 pieces, respectively. When you compare those sold in Manila, there’s a huge price difference.

A few more minutes and I’m done with my pot. I only shaped mud through a mold which you might say is not really a legit form of pottery. I could have tried the more difficult stuff or wheeling and feeling all that mud in your hands but the guide said they’re not doing one yet. So we stuck with the mold. I felt happy with my finished product. It was slightly easy except on removing the shaped pot from the mold. I did make futile attempts but it was really heavy. I managed to remove it, though. Of course with help from our guide. Hehe.

I remembered it was on my bucket list. Another one done. When I was doing it, I felt like a town’s culture slowly slipping through my hands. I felt their hardship through the sweat that beaded my brows and their pride as soon as I finished one. Cheesy, eh? Yep. And fun. You should try it. :)


THAT'S MY UPSIDE DOWN POT! Happy girl here! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home