Skipping a class for Madz

Yep, I skipped Friday class to watch Madz 50th year Anniversary Concert. Sorry, it just has to be done.

My brother introduced me to choral group singing and then, we finally fell in love with Madz. A friend allowed us to pirate his precious CDs just so we can have something to listen to. Hahaha! I was dying to watch them live—well, I was able to last December when they sang portions during the annual Handel’s Messiah Concert. Pero mejo bitin, so justified ang pag-absent sa class last Friday.

The first half of the concert was filled with songs that I’m not much familiar with. There’s one sung in Spanish, another in French and the other one was Maguindanaon yata. No worries, I haven’t understood a word but I enjoyed the performance nonetheless.

The second half was more fun because (1) I was more familiar with the songs, and (2) they were more upbeat. I could have easily said their rendition of Michael Jackson’s Earth Song was my favorite but their Da Coconut Nut, originally composed by Ryan Cayabyab, was total performance. Second favorite was Ihip ng Hangin sung by the female members of the group. Their voices were just so angelic and soothing. Equally amusing was their last song: Italian Salad composed by Richard Genee. I don’t know the guy, but according the program I got, he was a Prussian-born Austrian composer, librettist and playwright. Italian Salad is like a parody of “the usual Italian opera of the Romantic era.” It comes from “the long tradition of opera buffas and pokes fun at the different types of singers that grace the opera stage.” Sounds funny? Wait until you see them sing and do it. The bass guy was the best. Hahaha!

Madz 50th Anniversary as the University’s premier choral group coincides with the UP College of Music’s golden year celebration too. The Madz concert served as their opening act for a semester-long series of concerts.

Here’s their song list:

  1. Doxologia
  2. Anima Christi
  3. Ang Pag-Ibig
  4. Ang Puso Ko’y Nagpupuri (Magnificat)
  5. La Bomba
  6. La Guerre
  7. Cantate Domino
  8. De Profundis Magnificat
  9. An Apocalyptic Alleluia
  10. Leron, Leron Sinta
  11. Kaisa-Isa Niyan
  12. Earth Song
  13. Africa
  14. Contigo En La Distancia
  15. Ihip ng Hangin
  16. Change the World
  17. Da Coconut Nut
  18. Italian Salad
  19. Circle of Life (Encore)

Labels: , , , , , ,

felix felicis: Skipping a class for Madz

Monday, July 1, 2013

Skipping a class for Madz

Yep, I skipped Friday class to watch Madz 50th year Anniversary Concert. Sorry, it just has to be done.

My brother introduced me to choral group singing and then, we finally fell in love with Madz. A friend allowed us to pirate his precious CDs just so we can have something to listen to. Hahaha! I was dying to watch them live—well, I was able to last December when they sang portions during the annual Handel’s Messiah Concert. Pero mejo bitin, so justified ang pag-absent sa class last Friday.

The first half of the concert was filled with songs that I’m not much familiar with. There’s one sung in Spanish, another in French and the other one was Maguindanaon yata. No worries, I haven’t understood a word but I enjoyed the performance nonetheless.

The second half was more fun because (1) I was more familiar with the songs, and (2) they were more upbeat. I could have easily said their rendition of Michael Jackson’s Earth Song was my favorite but their Da Coconut Nut, originally composed by Ryan Cayabyab, was total performance. Second favorite was Ihip ng Hangin sung by the female members of the group. Their voices were just so angelic and soothing. Equally amusing was their last song: Italian Salad composed by Richard Genee. I don’t know the guy, but according the program I got, he was a Prussian-born Austrian composer, librettist and playwright. Italian Salad is like a parody of “the usual Italian opera of the Romantic era.” It comes from “the long tradition of opera buffas and pokes fun at the different types of singers that grace the opera stage.” Sounds funny? Wait until you see them sing and do it. The bass guy was the best. Hahaha!

Madz 50th Anniversary as the University’s premier choral group coincides with the UP College of Music’s golden year celebration too. The Madz concert served as their opening act for a semester-long series of concerts.

Here’s their song list:

  1. Doxologia
  2. Anima Christi
  3. Ang Pag-Ibig
  4. Ang Puso Ko’y Nagpupuri (Magnificat)
  5. La Bomba
  6. La Guerre
  7. Cantate Domino
  8. De Profundis Magnificat
  9. An Apocalyptic Alleluia
  10. Leron, Leron Sinta
  11. Kaisa-Isa Niyan
  12. Earth Song
  13. Africa
  14. Contigo En La Distancia
  15. Ihip ng Hangin
  16. Change the World
  17. Da Coconut Nut
  18. Italian Salad
  19. Circle of Life (Encore)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home