OneRepublic in Manila: I lost myself the other night

I already missed The Killers. I should watch One Republic live. 800 bucks. General Admission. Good to go. After a day’s worth of discussion on how to strengthen local government advocacy on TB control, we’re off to Cubao. I was not getting enough good vibes not until the lights of the coliseum dimmed and the band began playing. Next thing I knew, my hands were up in the air and my hoarse voice rocking the choruses of each song. It was not a bad decision after all.

The crowd was amazing. We were standing the whole time the band was playing their hits (at least from my point of view people barely sat down) and we’re singing along the adlibs and bridges. Most of us were even clapping to match the songs’ beats. My favorite part was when the band played an acoustic version of their debut hit, Apologize. It became more beautiful when it was mashed up with Justin Timberlake’s Cry Me River, Rihanna’s We Found Love and Coldplay’s Yellow. Of course, the audience participation made it more fun. They’re really good live.

Their new album isn’t quite different from their previous productions— inspirational lyrics, elaborate sounds peppered with nice strings sections, and Ryan Tedder’s beautiful falsettos. Of course, there are stand-outs: Burning Bridges was really catchy for me while Feel Again channels a lot of good vibes (it’s usually associated with Florence + the Machine’s Dog Days Are Over given their seemingly similar melodies; I love both songs, BTW). Preacher’s gets a boost from its gospel-associated tunes and lyrics. The rest of the soundtrack was, I think, anchored to the band member’s personal experiences on pretty much everything. The album title Native lends some nostalgic feel to it. To be fair, I’d like to think this is their more cohesive album compared to their previous undertakings.


The night ended with If I Lose Myself—the band’s venture into club anthems. I lost myself reveling in good music. I think it means I enjoyed the whole show. J

Labels: , , ,

felix felicis: OneRepublic in Manila: I lost myself the other night

Saturday, November 9, 2013

OneRepublic in Manila: I lost myself the other night

I already missed The Killers. I should watch One Republic live. 800 bucks. General Admission. Good to go. After a day’s worth of discussion on how to strengthen local government advocacy on TB control, we’re off to Cubao. I was not getting enough good vibes not until the lights of the coliseum dimmed and the band began playing. Next thing I knew, my hands were up in the air and my hoarse voice rocking the choruses of each song. It was not a bad decision after all.

The crowd was amazing. We were standing the whole time the band was playing their hits (at least from my point of view people barely sat down) and we’re singing along the adlibs and bridges. Most of us were even clapping to match the songs’ beats. My favorite part was when the band played an acoustic version of their debut hit, Apologize. It became more beautiful when it was mashed up with Justin Timberlake’s Cry Me River, Rihanna’s We Found Love and Coldplay’s Yellow. Of course, the audience participation made it more fun. They’re really good live.

Their new album isn’t quite different from their previous productions— inspirational lyrics, elaborate sounds peppered with nice strings sections, and Ryan Tedder’s beautiful falsettos. Of course, there are stand-outs: Burning Bridges was really catchy for me while Feel Again channels a lot of good vibes (it’s usually associated with Florence + the Machine’s Dog Days Are Over given their seemingly similar melodies; I love both songs, BTW). Preacher’s gets a boost from its gospel-associated tunes and lyrics. The rest of the soundtrack was, I think, anchored to the band member’s personal experiences on pretty much everything. The album title Native lends some nostalgic feel to it. To be fair, I’d like to think this is their more cohesive album compared to their previous undertakings.


The night ended with If I Lose Myself—the band’s venture into club anthems. I lost myself reveling in good music. I think it means I enjoyed the whole show. J

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home