We Can't Stop the Pop: Emy's Top 20 Songs for 2013

We're listing down my favorite tracks for this year. All of them figured much in my phone's shuffled playlist or frequent browsing visits on Youtube. Most of these songs were discovered via random FB posts or constant radio plays: I get curious and ask, what song is that or who sung that song? So, without further ado, here are the songs that made it to the list:

20. Everything Has Changed by Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift (Red)

The song's so heartfelt, you can't help but press replay. I love the fact that they're doing nice duets. And no, Ed and Taylor are not dating. Yet. I hope they don't. Hehe.

19. Ho Hey by The Lumineers (The Lumineers)

It's good The Lumineers released this as their first single. Ho Hey is a folksy, catchy tune that's sure to attract listeners in need of easy music. It's perfect for laidback or easy drives. 

18. If You Could See Me Now by The Script (#3)

 Unlike their other tracks, If You Could See Me Now stands out as a song dedicated for the band members' deceased parents. The lyrics remain to have the pain and heartbreak patented to the Irish band. While #3 showcased a more alternative pop beat, my favorite album remains to be their sophomore release, Science and Faith

17. Demons by Imagine Dragons (Night Visions)

 When I began listening to Imagine Dragon's album, I wasn't aware of the song titles because they were on shuffle. The lyrics of the song already caught my attention but it was a friend who randomly shared her favorite song in the album that I got formally introduced to Demons. This track has the right angst and when mashed with their equally amazing song, Radioactive, the result is a smashing production number. In my opinion, I guess. Check out their AMA Perf for a sample. 

16. Ain't It Fun by Paramore (Paramore)

 Paramore's one of the more bipolar alternative pop bands present market. We use bipolar in a good way here. They produce records that's full of anger, metal-lish riffs and pounding drums (Misery Business, That's What You Get), relatively quiet tracks (My Heart) to something fun and quirky (Still Into You). Ain't It Fun has elements of each; we can't really place the band's brand of music. Suffice to say that it "chooses its own audience," in the words of another friend, from time to time.

15. Clarity by Zedd ft. Foxes (Clarity)

Summer's biggest tune figures in this list because mainly of that achievement. It was only until later that I got hooked into this song; until after I listened to the lyrics. The Voice Season 4 runner-up Michelle Chamuel has a fairly decent cover for this overly-covered song. 

14. Same Love by Macklemore ft. Mary Lambert (The Heist) 

Another song that I appreciated later than others. I loved how Macklemore, a straight, white hiphop rapper, was able to send a strong message of support to the LGBTQIA community. This, considering the usual stereotypes of homophobia we usually associate with the hiphop community. It adds another layer of sincerity and cred when we learn that collaborator Mary Lambert experienced gender discrimination firsthand. "I'm not crying on Sundays" speaks volumes of how much the advocacy has progressed in terms of acceptance and how much more we'll need to work on in the future. Straight but not narrow. :)

13. Red by Taylor Swift (Red)
I was a Swifter ever since Teardrops On My Guitar. Huge fan after You Belong With Me. Swift's songs may be marketed for young girls and country music fans but it's evident that she attracted more. They became anthems for many who can relate to her ~genuine lyrics. 

12. Royals by Lorde (The Love Club/Pure Heroine)

It almost got into the same ~hyped state as Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know, except Pink's Just Give Me A Reason already got that place. Don't get me wrong, I loved both previously mentioned song, I just don't get why they get so much airtime when there are others that are also good. Anyway, Lorde's Royals has so much swag in terms of melody and lyrics. I loved how it attacked the music industry's diva/queen bee attitude.  

11. Love Somebody by Maroon 5 (Overexposed)

 Maroon 5's becoming too pop and mainstream but I wouldn't really care for now. Their new album have more ok songs than stand out ones, relative to theor previous releases. Love Somebody's a good club filler or a nice roadtrip song. It's like Daylight, only sexier. Haha. 

10. Lego House by Ed Sheeran (+)
Ed Sheeran's a charming redhead with a nice, soothing voice. He's not too ~cloying, maybe because his brand of acoustic music is too good to be compared with others in the industry. Lego House was on the loop for quite sometime until I got too ~sentimental I switched to more upbeat songs in his debut album. Also, Ron Weasley as the obsessed fan was the music vid's plus factor.


9. We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus (Bangerz)

The tail-end of this year became quite overwhelming for me in terms of school reqs and annoying people at work so Miley's ditty was an apt description for the feelings I had that time. It's like raising your middle finger to annoying stuff done with classy swag. Char. Haha! 

8. Heart Attack by Demi Lovato (Demi)
Heart Attack became the impromptu theme song for our HK trip, only because our friend belted it one time while we're busy arranging out things at the dorm. Haha! After that, we felt heart attack for every sale item we see during the trip. Hahaha! And yes, Demi's vocals were just damn good in this song. 

7. Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus (Bangerz)
Sorry, two songs from Miley. Only because her AMA Perf of Wrecking Ball, with nothing but a mopey-eyed cat on the background, elicited so much feels and became one of the more heartbreaking moments on TV. Char ulet. 

6. Treasure by Bruno Mars (Unorthodox Jukebox)

My brother and I immediately fell in love with Bruno's Treasure the first time we heard it at a party. After that, it figured into my usual morning playlist while working. The music vid's 70's-inspired feel was also something I like. This song's indeed a treasure. 

5. Wake Me Up by Avicii ft. Aloe Blacc

This song just had the right mix into it: lyrics, melody, and vocals. "I wish that I could stay this young, not afraid to close my eyes. Life's a game for everyone and love is the prize." It recently got mainstream airtime which is both ok and not so ok, I guess. Hehe. 

4. Fader by Temper Trap (Conditions)

I just love this soooong. Of course, I won't pretend to know every song from Temper Trap's album. The fact that it was released last 2010 and I discovered them just now (?!) makes me a late blooming fan. It's enough to say that everytime I hear this song, it gets me energized. 

3. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons (Night Visions)

The fact that the song was played with gongs in it was already awesome. The lyrics adds flavor and the Dan Reynold's cracked up vocals made this track more amazing. Rolling Stone dubbed this as the biggest rock hit for 2013 and Billboard called Imagine Dragons as the Breakthrough Band for 2013. 'Nuff cred, no? :)

2. Brave by Sara Bareilles (Blessed Unrest)

I always say that Sara is one of the more underrated music artists in the industry. After getting attention from Love Song, she went sort of underground again, until after King of Anything got some airtime. And then Brave, a song for a friend who's having a hard time coming out, got positive reviews. It's seeming similarity with Katy Perry's Roar only boosted its success. The album also has its share of good tracks. I'm happy that Sara's getting the praise she deserves. It's just about time. 

1. Counting Stars by OneRepublic (Native)

Ryan Tedder's songwriting skillz' just great. Burning Bridges should have figured in this list but Counting Stars was more ear candy for me. The whole album's actually a good playlist already. And I loved how great they sound live. They should do a repeat perf here in Manila. :)

Runners-up are the following:

Tonight I'm Getting Over You by Carly Rae Jepsen (Kiss)


Burn by Ellie Goulding (Halcyon Days)


Stay the Night by Zedd ft. Hayley Williams (Clarity: Deluxe Edition)

Story of My Life by One Direction (Midnight Memories)

Fall by Justin Bieber (Believe)

Labels: , , , , , ,

felix felicis: We Can't Stop the Pop: Emy's Top 20 Songs for 2013

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

We Can't Stop the Pop: Emy's Top 20 Songs for 2013

We're listing down my favorite tracks for this year. All of them figured much in my phone's shuffled playlist or frequent browsing visits on Youtube. Most of these songs were discovered via random FB posts or constant radio plays: I get curious and ask, what song is that or who sung that song? So, without further ado, here are the songs that made it to the list:

20. Everything Has Changed by Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift (Red)

The song's so heartfelt, you can't help but press replay. I love the fact that they're doing nice duets. And no, Ed and Taylor are not dating. Yet. I hope they don't. Hehe.

19. Ho Hey by The Lumineers (The Lumineers)

It's good The Lumineers released this as their first single. Ho Hey is a folksy, catchy tune that's sure to attract listeners in need of easy music. It's perfect for laidback or easy drives. 

18. If You Could See Me Now by The Script (#3)

 Unlike their other tracks, If You Could See Me Now stands out as a song dedicated for the band members' deceased parents. The lyrics remain to have the pain and heartbreak patented to the Irish band. While #3 showcased a more alternative pop beat, my favorite album remains to be their sophomore release, Science and Faith

17. Demons by Imagine Dragons (Night Visions)

 When I began listening to Imagine Dragon's album, I wasn't aware of the song titles because they were on shuffle. The lyrics of the song already caught my attention but it was a friend who randomly shared her favorite song in the album that I got formally introduced to Demons. This track has the right angst and when mashed with their equally amazing song, Radioactive, the result is a smashing production number. In my opinion, I guess. Check out their AMA Perf for a sample. 

16. Ain't It Fun by Paramore (Paramore)

 Paramore's one of the more bipolar alternative pop bands present market. We use bipolar in a good way here. They produce records that's full of anger, metal-lish riffs and pounding drums (Misery Business, That's What You Get), relatively quiet tracks (My Heart) to something fun and quirky (Still Into You). Ain't It Fun has elements of each; we can't really place the band's brand of music. Suffice to say that it "chooses its own audience," in the words of another friend, from time to time.

15. Clarity by Zedd ft. Foxes (Clarity)

Summer's biggest tune figures in this list because mainly of that achievement. It was only until later that I got hooked into this song; until after I listened to the lyrics. The Voice Season 4 runner-up Michelle Chamuel has a fairly decent cover for this overly-covered song. 

14. Same Love by Macklemore ft. Mary Lambert (The Heist) 

Another song that I appreciated later than others. I loved how Macklemore, a straight, white hiphop rapper, was able to send a strong message of support to the LGBTQIA community. This, considering the usual stereotypes of homophobia we usually associate with the hiphop community. It adds another layer of sincerity and cred when we learn that collaborator Mary Lambert experienced gender discrimination firsthand. "I'm not crying on Sundays" speaks volumes of how much the advocacy has progressed in terms of acceptance and how much more we'll need to work on in the future. Straight but not narrow. :)

13. Red by Taylor Swift (Red)
I was a Swifter ever since Teardrops On My Guitar. Huge fan after You Belong With Me. Swift's songs may be marketed for young girls and country music fans but it's evident that she attracted more. They became anthems for many who can relate to her ~genuine lyrics. 

12. Royals by Lorde (The Love Club/Pure Heroine)

It almost got into the same ~hyped state as Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know, except Pink's Just Give Me A Reason already got that place. Don't get me wrong, I loved both previously mentioned song, I just don't get why they get so much airtime when there are others that are also good. Anyway, Lorde's Royals has so much swag in terms of melody and lyrics. I loved how it attacked the music industry's diva/queen bee attitude.  

11. Love Somebody by Maroon 5 (Overexposed)

 Maroon 5's becoming too pop and mainstream but I wouldn't really care for now. Their new album have more ok songs than stand out ones, relative to theor previous releases. Love Somebody's a good club filler or a nice roadtrip song. It's like Daylight, only sexier. Haha. 

10. Lego House by Ed Sheeran (+)
Ed Sheeran's a charming redhead with a nice, soothing voice. He's not too ~cloying, maybe because his brand of acoustic music is too good to be compared with others in the industry. Lego House was on the loop for quite sometime until I got too ~sentimental I switched to more upbeat songs in his debut album. Also, Ron Weasley as the obsessed fan was the music vid's plus factor.


9. We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus (Bangerz)

The tail-end of this year became quite overwhelming for me in terms of school reqs and annoying people at work so Miley's ditty was an apt description for the feelings I had that time. It's like raising your middle finger to annoying stuff done with classy swag. Char. Haha! 

8. Heart Attack by Demi Lovato (Demi)
Heart Attack became the impromptu theme song for our HK trip, only because our friend belted it one time while we're busy arranging out things at the dorm. Haha! After that, we felt heart attack for every sale item we see during the trip. Hahaha! And yes, Demi's vocals were just damn good in this song. 

7. Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus (Bangerz)
Sorry, two songs from Miley. Only because her AMA Perf of Wrecking Ball, with nothing but a mopey-eyed cat on the background, elicited so much feels and became one of the more heartbreaking moments on TV. Char ulet. 

6. Treasure by Bruno Mars (Unorthodox Jukebox)

My brother and I immediately fell in love with Bruno's Treasure the first time we heard it at a party. After that, it figured into my usual morning playlist while working. The music vid's 70's-inspired feel was also something I like. This song's indeed a treasure. 

5. Wake Me Up by Avicii ft. Aloe Blacc

This song just had the right mix into it: lyrics, melody, and vocals. "I wish that I could stay this young, not afraid to close my eyes. Life's a game for everyone and love is the prize." It recently got mainstream airtime which is both ok and not so ok, I guess. Hehe. 

4. Fader by Temper Trap (Conditions)

I just love this soooong. Of course, I won't pretend to know every song from Temper Trap's album. The fact that it was released last 2010 and I discovered them just now (?!) makes me a late blooming fan. It's enough to say that everytime I hear this song, it gets me energized. 

3. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons (Night Visions)

The fact that the song was played with gongs in it was already awesome. The lyrics adds flavor and the Dan Reynold's cracked up vocals made this track more amazing. Rolling Stone dubbed this as the biggest rock hit for 2013 and Billboard called Imagine Dragons as the Breakthrough Band for 2013. 'Nuff cred, no? :)

2. Brave by Sara Bareilles (Blessed Unrest)

I always say that Sara is one of the more underrated music artists in the industry. After getting attention from Love Song, she went sort of underground again, until after King of Anything got some airtime. And then Brave, a song for a friend who's having a hard time coming out, got positive reviews. It's seeming similarity with Katy Perry's Roar only boosted its success. The album also has its share of good tracks. I'm happy that Sara's getting the praise she deserves. It's just about time. 

1. Counting Stars by OneRepublic (Native)

Ryan Tedder's songwriting skillz' just great. Burning Bridges should have figured in this list but Counting Stars was more ear candy for me. The whole album's actually a good playlist already. And I loved how great they sound live. They should do a repeat perf here in Manila. :)

Runners-up are the following:

Tonight I'm Getting Over You by Carly Rae Jepsen (Kiss)


Burn by Ellie Goulding (Halcyon Days)


Stay the Night by Zedd ft. Hayley Williams (Clarity: Deluxe Edition)

Story of My Life by One Direction (Midnight Memories)

Fall by Justin Bieber (Believe)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home