Lessons on love from cab rides

I usually ride cabs when going home past the regular train hours. This allows me to go home well within my parents' curfew. Yes, I still have one. Haha! 

Anyway, instead of the usual evening playlists from the radio, cab drivers are often listening to forlorn love stories from avid listeners. There's Papa Jack or DJ Chico Loco. You choose. The drill is simple: listeners can call the advertised radio hotlines to share various stories about unrequited love, cheating, or confused feelings. The DJs, in turn, listen and give pieces of love advice to the chosen caller. Background songs are optional; and given the degree of drama the story creates, the faded down songs try to elicit feelings from both the caller and the listeners. 

I rode a cab going home last night. I remembered the driver I had the other night. That night's driver is not different: he switches stations, from Papa Jack to Chico Loco, and laughs on just about every funny comment the DJ jests. The first caller we were listening to was a gay guy trying to reconcile his feelings for the guy he fell in love with. Apparently, the guy he loves only knows him when he needs something. The usual case of gays being taken for granted by their partners. Papa Jack told him to move on and just forget the guy because he's not worth everything his gay partner was working for. The cab driver wasn't very keen with same-sex relationships so he switched the station. He said he feels pity for gays who think straight men will take them seriously. I was like, ok. O.o

New radio station. This time, the caller was a girl and the situation's more or less the same. The guy sees her as a rebound relationship-- whenever he feels like liking her or he's not into his current relationship, he calls this girl and tells her that he loves her still. What a douchebag. The girl, who happens to be a teacher, fell for the same trap twice. The third time, the guy told him again that he wanted to start their relationship anew but the girl knew about him being married to someone else so she tried to back off. She eventually calls the DJ because apparently, her heart is "betraying" her. The guy told her that they should see each other, that he's making time for her, trying to make their on-off relationship work. The girl's having mixed feelings; hence, the predicament. 

I was a bit relieved that the DJ told her not to listen to what the guy was saying and to just move on. Aside from not having the guts to decide which he'll be settling with, he also has issues on what love should be all about (as if I know anything about it). 

The cab driver was apparently pissed off at the whole story, and at one point I thought he'd switch stations again. Which will be perfectly ok with me. Really. But, much to my amusement, the cab driver suddenly went berserk and said that love shouldn't be like that. His Batangueno/slightly Visayan accent lent conviction to his perspective on love and relationships:

"Ala'y, di dapat ganyan! Kung mahal mo ang isang tao, walang sumbatan, walang kondisyon! Di mo pwedeng sabihing binigyan mo siya ng oras o isumbat na pinipilit mong ayusin ang relasyon. Kung mahal mo ang tao, mahal mo. Wala ng hihinging kapalit. Walang lokohan. Hindi tama iyan!"

I was wide-eyed the whole time he was saying those things. There were more, but these words struck me most. Not that I can really relate or whatever, but I felt there was a semblance of truth and practicality in his statement. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, does not boast and is not rude. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians (13) outlines this perfectly. 

Manong's idea of love is timeless and realistic. While he doesn't believe in a different type of relationship (e.g. same sex, etc), I respect how he views love and how people should treat their partners. Love demands respect and equality. I think I learned that perfectly from Manong's "agitated" statement. 

Before I get off the cab, Manong calmed down. I think he felt the heat of his statements, he asked how to order a cup of Coke Float at McDo. I gladly explained the process and the combos for tipid-tips. 

It was a fun ride home. Always a fun ride home. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

felix felicis: Lessons on love from cab rides

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Lessons on love from cab rides

I usually ride cabs when going home past the regular train hours. This allows me to go home well within my parents' curfew. Yes, I still have one. Haha! 

Anyway, instead of the usual evening playlists from the radio, cab drivers are often listening to forlorn love stories from avid listeners. There's Papa Jack or DJ Chico Loco. You choose. The drill is simple: listeners can call the advertised radio hotlines to share various stories about unrequited love, cheating, or confused feelings. The DJs, in turn, listen and give pieces of love advice to the chosen caller. Background songs are optional; and given the degree of drama the story creates, the faded down songs try to elicit feelings from both the caller and the listeners. 

I rode a cab going home last night. I remembered the driver I had the other night. That night's driver is not different: he switches stations, from Papa Jack to Chico Loco, and laughs on just about every funny comment the DJ jests. The first caller we were listening to was a gay guy trying to reconcile his feelings for the guy he fell in love with. Apparently, the guy he loves only knows him when he needs something. The usual case of gays being taken for granted by their partners. Papa Jack told him to move on and just forget the guy because he's not worth everything his gay partner was working for. The cab driver wasn't very keen with same-sex relationships so he switched the station. He said he feels pity for gays who think straight men will take them seriously. I was like, ok. O.o

New radio station. This time, the caller was a girl and the situation's more or less the same. The guy sees her as a rebound relationship-- whenever he feels like liking her or he's not into his current relationship, he calls this girl and tells her that he loves her still. What a douchebag. The girl, who happens to be a teacher, fell for the same trap twice. The third time, the guy told him again that he wanted to start their relationship anew but the girl knew about him being married to someone else so she tried to back off. She eventually calls the DJ because apparently, her heart is "betraying" her. The guy told her that they should see each other, that he's making time for her, trying to make their on-off relationship work. The girl's having mixed feelings; hence, the predicament. 

I was a bit relieved that the DJ told her not to listen to what the guy was saying and to just move on. Aside from not having the guts to decide which he'll be settling with, he also has issues on what love should be all about (as if I know anything about it). 

The cab driver was apparently pissed off at the whole story, and at one point I thought he'd switch stations again. Which will be perfectly ok with me. Really. But, much to my amusement, the cab driver suddenly went berserk and said that love shouldn't be like that. His Batangueno/slightly Visayan accent lent conviction to his perspective on love and relationships:

"Ala'y, di dapat ganyan! Kung mahal mo ang isang tao, walang sumbatan, walang kondisyon! Di mo pwedeng sabihing binigyan mo siya ng oras o isumbat na pinipilit mong ayusin ang relasyon. Kung mahal mo ang tao, mahal mo. Wala ng hihinging kapalit. Walang lokohan. Hindi tama iyan!"

I was wide-eyed the whole time he was saying those things. There were more, but these words struck me most. Not that I can really relate or whatever, but I felt there was a semblance of truth and practicality in his statement. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, does not boast and is not rude. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians (13) outlines this perfectly. 

Manong's idea of love is timeless and realistic. While he doesn't believe in a different type of relationship (e.g. same sex, etc), I respect how he views love and how people should treat their partners. Love demands respect and equality. I think I learned that perfectly from Manong's "agitated" statement. 

Before I get off the cab, Manong calmed down. I think he felt the heat of his statements, he asked how to order a cup of Coke Float at McDo. I gladly explained the process and the combos for tipid-tips. 

It was a fun ride home. Always a fun ride home. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home