On coughs and dealing with life's disappointments

Source: http://www.bsale.com.au/images/alg_taxi_meter(1).jpg

I’m having a fairly nice and interesting collection of stories from cab drivers. While going home the other night, I was having a coughing fit and a runny nose. The cab driver asked if I was ok and I said yes. He then went on telling me that the inclement weather was causing a lot of people to be sick. He told me he was also having a hard time with his cough, hence the grunge in his voice. He could have called in sick and then rested the whole day, but because he needed to get his boundary, he cannot. Usual case of people trying to make ends meet, I told myself.

He was quiet for some time until he told me he would have gone to work anyway because his wife is away from home. Maybe she’s in their province, I thought. He then went on telling me his wife had to work as a seamstress in a local factory in Bahrain to help in the family finances. They could have been enjoying the life of a couple but their only daughter got pregnant after graduation. They took her in and her newborn baby, and was even supporting their daughter’s married life financially. He said he did not want to but they could not bear to see their only child facing the challenges alone. He said he was glad when his daughter managed to finish college even when she was failing every subject and lying to her parents during her last years. Of course, the dream of seeing their child get a job, enjoy her life and succeed, had been sidelined when she bore a child. Usual case of parents still accepting their erring children, I said again to myself.

There’s nothing wrong of course. It is natural for parents to feel that way for their children especially when they are the only child. I just felt sad for the father who’s working hard to bring food to their table and milk for the baby; especially disappointed when I learned that the daughter was blaming her baby for not being able to enjoy the single life she could have. I felt slightly mad because she chose to engage herself with a man who cannot even provide for their baby or because she failed to get protection that night, she and her boyfriend did the act. Why the baby? Why do you even bother your parents? There may have been other things of course, but really, it’s just twisted and unbearable for parents to experience those things.

He said he wanted to finish his college degree in Mathematics. It doesn’t matter if he’d pass the licensure exams for teachers or even teach in a high school, what matters is the diploma. Something he can proudly hang on their family home, he said. I told him it’s not yet too late. People are never too old to get an education.

I paid my fare and bid him thanks. I hope the silent prayer I had for him and his family that night will be enough to comfort the storms in his life.


Labels: , , , , ,

felix felicis: On coughs and dealing with life's disappointments

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

On coughs and dealing with life's disappointments

Source: http://www.bsale.com.au/images/alg_taxi_meter(1).jpg

I’m having a fairly nice and interesting collection of stories from cab drivers. While going home the other night, I was having a coughing fit and a runny nose. The cab driver asked if I was ok and I said yes. He then went on telling me that the inclement weather was causing a lot of people to be sick. He told me he was also having a hard time with his cough, hence the grunge in his voice. He could have called in sick and then rested the whole day, but because he needed to get his boundary, he cannot. Usual case of people trying to make ends meet, I told myself.

He was quiet for some time until he told me he would have gone to work anyway because his wife is away from home. Maybe she’s in their province, I thought. He then went on telling me his wife had to work as a seamstress in a local factory in Bahrain to help in the family finances. They could have been enjoying the life of a couple but their only daughter got pregnant after graduation. They took her in and her newborn baby, and was even supporting their daughter’s married life financially. He said he did not want to but they could not bear to see their only child facing the challenges alone. He said he was glad when his daughter managed to finish college even when she was failing every subject and lying to her parents during her last years. Of course, the dream of seeing their child get a job, enjoy her life and succeed, had been sidelined when she bore a child. Usual case of parents still accepting their erring children, I said again to myself.

There’s nothing wrong of course. It is natural for parents to feel that way for their children especially when they are the only child. I just felt sad for the father who’s working hard to bring food to their table and milk for the baby; especially disappointed when I learned that the daughter was blaming her baby for not being able to enjoy the single life she could have. I felt slightly mad because she chose to engage herself with a man who cannot even provide for their baby or because she failed to get protection that night, she and her boyfriend did the act. Why the baby? Why do you even bother your parents? There may have been other things of course, but really, it’s just twisted and unbearable for parents to experience those things.

He said he wanted to finish his college degree in Mathematics. It doesn’t matter if he’d pass the licensure exams for teachers or even teach in a high school, what matters is the diploma. Something he can proudly hang on their family home, he said. I told him it’s not yet too late. People are never too old to get an education.

I paid my fare and bid him thanks. I hope the silent prayer I had for him and his family that night will be enough to comfort the storms in his life.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home